Friday, September 21, 2012

WORK, WORK, WORK


DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT COMPLAINING OR MOANING, IT IS JUST PLAIN FACTS. COLD. HARD. FACTS. AND IT'S REALLY PRETTY HUMOROUS, SO DON'T THINK I AM TAKING MYSELF TOO SERIOUSLY.

The older I get, it seems like the more maintenance I require. Maybe not really require, as in have to have, but you get what I'm saying. I realize it is no big revelation, but it is for me.

It dawned on me the other day when I went to my very first ever Dermatologist visit for a full body check, that I need a lot of maintenance.  I don't think I'm high maintenance, like a Diva or anything, but I do require upkeep and maintenance and an overhaul every now and then, maybe like a car or a house or a large barn.

First of all, I had no idea I would have to get naked and that they would take pictures of me at the Dermatologist. Seriously???  I told the doctor..."Don't let me catch these photos on anyone's Facebook page." I totally thought I was being funny and doing my best to make light of my rather vulnerable situation. She found no humor in it. I still think it's funny.

So, here's my list. Some things are not really necessary, and they might even fall in the Diva category now that I think of it.

Going to be totally honest and check my pride at the door for this one. So, readers beware.  I'll start in the morning and work my way through the day.

1. Sensodyne toothpaste- got some receding gums that leads to tooth sensitivity
2. Have to sometimes take 2 baths a day. Thank you bladder leakage.
3. I noticed bunions on my toes the other day. Ugly little round nodules. Guess a foot doctor is in my future. Ira the Podiatrist. That's my imaginary name for him.
4. Using a really high percentage Zinc Oxide sunscreen because I have "age spots" AKA Big Ass Freckles all over my face.
5. Retinoids- to combat wrinkles and promote collagen
6. Hormone patch- does that need an explanation?
7. Special and expensive shampoo that won't fade my hair color. The hair color I get to hide all my gray.
8. Neck cream-to help with saggy neck skin. Think chicken or turkey. Lovely.
9.  Eyelash and eyebrow "Miracle Grow"- because for some reason they don't grow anymore.
10. Crest Whitening strips
11. Gym membership and trainer- It used to be so easy. I could eat what I wanted and work out and see results pretty quickly. Not anymore. I have to pay someone to keep me motivated. (This is probably Diva worthy)
12. Regular visits to Georgia Hormones for blood work to try to find a healthy Estrogen dose and to keep me sane!

Not to mention-manicures, pedicures and waxing.

It's all really pretty funny when I read the list. I am NO DIFFERENT than anyone else. It's just that, honestly, I kind of thought I was! I remember thinking things when I was younger about "older" women and saying to myself..."I will not be like that or look like that or have that issue when I get older."

Humility. It's all about humility. I am getting a large piece of humble pie. And that is fine. I am sure I needed it. I just hope it's fat free.

I am actually enjoying aging and getting older. I am, however, working on the gracefully part of "Aging Gracefully."

But, I remain....
Grateful!
DD







1 comment:

  1. Look at you working that power saw girl! Impressed! Aging "gracefully" is an art form. I don't have it mastered yet. I think it falls in line with the whole gratitude thing because really--it beats the alternative! I do a lot of the things on your list too and I plan to do more. Whatever helps! I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are aging backwards. Both you and Chip just keep getting better like fine wine. Jealous!
    xo
    A

    ReplyDelete